Thursday, February 19, 2009

uuuuuuggggh!Rexburg Driving Rant.

I DO NOT like driving here in Rexburg!! One might think that living in a small collegiate town that people could read and comprehend road signs!! Not the case! I thought that people here would be more intelligent seeing as how 70% (not a real statistic, just speculation) of the population of Rexburg are college students. STOP means that your car actually needs to stop, and stop BEHIND the white line, not in the crosswalk.
Crosswalks are meant to be used...walk within the safety of the two parallel white lines that lead to the other side of the road, look BOTH ways (Right and Left) and check for stupid drivers who won't see you, even if you are wearing a bright green coat.I reserve the right to honk at people who are "j-walking", especially when they are near (a few feet away) from a crosswalk, and I yield for those who use crosswalks. Pedestrians, you need to wear reflective or light colored clothing at night to be seen, wearing black=not a good idea! If there is a pole with a push button that will illuminate a flashing light to alert oncoming vehicles, use it!
Drivers, a roundabout is a really cool thing, do not fear. Yield does not mean stop. Do not yield while inside the roundabout. In the Rexburg roundabout there are two lanes the inside lane goes all the way around and through the roundabout, the outer lane leads to the right ONLY!! (true story, this dummy flies around me and uses the outside lane and tries to cut me off inside the roundabout!!)
When there is snow on the ground avoid the roads in Rexburg, expect inexperienced drivers at every turn if you chose to brave the streets. While I was in school, on snowy days I would walk to class (most days I walked anyway), it is literally safer to walk than to share the road with the crazies. Yes the cold,wet,white stuff is snow and it makes the road slick, SLOW DOWN & DO NOT TAILGATE! When the road is all shiny, it doesn't mean that the road is squeaky clean, it means ICE!! SLOW DOWN!!
I know that Rexburg roads don't help either, with potholes so large you can land on the other side of the world when you hit one, or at least risk bodily injury. And intersections that should be 4-way stops that aren't and streets that have multiple 2 and 4-way stops. And many thanks to the lovely people who plow our roads, I appreciate your effort but what in the world makes you think that leaving mountains (not an exaggeration) of snow on street corners is a good idea? You can't see around them!

Thanks for listening (or reading) my little rant. I hate the driving here and I revel in the beauty of summer semester here when most of the population is gone, off track, summer sales, internships etc... a time when I can drive the roads of Rexburg and not fear the crazies! With that said I hope that you are all safe and can avoid driving situations like those found here in Rexburg.

-S

3 comments:

The Graham Family! said...

I sooooo hear ya on this one!! I am so glad we live in Idaho falls now. Whenever we go to Rexburg.. I swear I about get in ten accidents because of idiot drivers. It's crazy!!

Anonymous said...

I like the pic that goes along with the post. You guys are so awesome!! Keep up your fantastic personalities!
Jessica Mecham

Abe n Linz said...

I agree. I will totally yield to a pedestrian, IF I KNOW THEY'RE THERE! Like 2 days I ago i was going down mainstreet, not even at a full 25, and this car was slightly ahead of me in the left lane (going west). I checked what I could of the cross walk, and I looked at the light, not blinking. Suddenly the car next to me stops just in time for a pedestrian crossing the road, and I didn't even see them! (I thought the car was breaking to turn till I went past them) Seriously, use the lights. It freaked me out that I could have hit someone, even while being careful!