Thursday, June 25, 2009

Car update....

It's about time for a car update... sadly yes, Suzy is still in my parent's driveway... she's had a rough time and shared it with us... it took much "umph" and shear will power to get the drive shafts and axles out and replaced... such a pain and yes, I had many opportunities to get my hands dirty helping... well those new parts are in and we backed her out of the driveway and "crunch, groan...growl" back into the driveway... repair needed in the rear differential... ouch. New socket set for Joe... ouch... but on sale! A couple new bearings, a couple new seals, a new crush sleeve on it's way, and then more gear oil.

Checklist:
*2 new front axles $112,
* 2 bottles gear oil $8,
*2 seals $29,
*Borrowed 2nd jack from neighbor
* "Broke-in" and borrowed creeper from grandparents
*lots of almost swear words as they were really (understatement) really difficult to remove.
*Help from: Me, Dad, Dustin (brother), JR (new brother), Tom (neighbor) & Dave (super nice co-worker)... axles finally out.
*Deliriously Delicious and ginormous homemade (by me) Cinnamon roll sent to Dave.
*Need to fix rear differential.
*Need different socket... bought a set, $54
*More help from Dad and I. Out much easier and faster.
*2 new bearings, a new seal, a couple other things I don't know the name of and a new crush sleeve $90, will probably need a couple more bottles of gear oil $8

Soon our sweet Suzy should be all put back together, Thank goodness, seriously for awesome employee discounts for parts, a super nice co-worker who came and helped out (he is also our parts guy)OI love my amazing husband that happens to be a mechanic, who is doing all the work so we don't have to pay someone else- I don't think they would accept monopoly money do you?

Now for your viewing pleasure some pics I took:





3 comments:

Jessica said...

So cool that you are almost done!! I hope that there is no more mishaps. GOOD LUCK!!

Briana said...

Dang! Car repairs stink! Sorry you've had to deal with all that! We've had some pretty huge repairs ourselves over the last few weeks :( So, I feel your pain!

Good luck!

The Halls said...

way to go! You are quite the woman getting your hands all dirty in a car. I hope she recovers soon!