Thursday, May 21, 2009

She's a trooper...

My Grandma, she has cancer and she is almost done with treatments! The doctors almost stopped them for a while because of the side effects, Grandma would have none of it. She is pushing through. Her last chemo is tomorrow and her last radiation treatment next wednesday. She is doing good considering. She is fed by a G-tube right now, because one of the side effects makes it hard for her to swallow and she can't taste anything either. Her neck is almost black, burned from radiation treatments, her lips chapped (she puts on this stuff that tastes nasty-works great, good thing she can't taste it) She can't wear her dentures either- could cause bad sores on her gums, so she doesn't go to church, she is really embarrassed, and she doesn't feel too well. There are a few other things I know I am forgetting, oh well. Grandma has done really well keeping a positive attitude through all this and she has a sense of humor about most things, her treatments included. And all this has kept us busy these last 5-6 weeks. I am proud that she is my Grandma and how well she has handled the treatments, and I am happy that I have been able to be here to help.

Another trooper is my aunt Mishawn, she (with her family ) live with Grandma to take care of her. Mishawn is uber- organized, she would say OCD, but it works for her and for us, she has made sure to get Grandma where she needs to be for all her appointments and treatments and she manages to do this while being a wife and a mother to three active girls. We (Mom, Val, Alisha and I) have been "on call" anytime she needs anything, whenever something needs to be done or help with the girls, anything. It's been great to be able to help out, I was feeling a bit useless in Idaho (for them) but this has kept me pretty busy and given me the oppertunity to get to know my aunt and cousins better, since I really hadn't had the chance before.

-S

1 comment:

Jessica said...

That's cool. I really am glad that your grandma is alright. hope that you r well love you