Saturday, November 8, 2008

To better myself

I have been doing something on my own for while, kind of an experiment. It is a kindness and politeness experiment.
1.NO GOSSIP I do not say anything behind anyone's back that I would not say to them. I think I started this when we started the adoption paperwork, I want people to talk to us not about us, and my job required me to talk about my residents and co-workers in complete honesty. All of this got me in the practice of not talking about people or when I do I tell them, really. It is interesting how this changes your thinking.
2. SAY PLEASE This is a word that helps a lot. In our primary class I get a little impatient, but we are sorely out numbered so I have started to use please A LOT! I ask them to PLEASE do quiet PLEASE be reverent. But when you use please you must use thank you.
3. SAY THANK YOU. I thank our primary kids for being good, they are shocked and proud and it makes a difference. I am also making an effort to vocally thank those nice guys that hold the door open for me at school, their faces say it all, they don't get thanked very much and this isn't good. I also say thank you at compliments, it's such a bad habit of us girls to say "thanks...but so and so" when recieving compliments, I have been just saying thank you when anyone compliments anything towards me, it's a good exercise.

-S

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I love those kind of goals. It's always good to take a good look at our habits, and than make a goal to improve. Good for you.

After I get the house feeling better, I should follow along.

Swanger Family said...

Shaylee, you are hovering, sit up straight. (mom talk) Cute kid!!!
Mom