Sunday, March 31, 2013

My Gluten Free Life

labels at Fred Meyer

"Hi, my name is Shaylee. I am gluten intolerant, 
my last donut was 8 weeks ago"

The following are pictures of my adventures in gluten free baking.
This is my first gluten free fail. 
I was trying out different gluten free flours.
I have since discovered a flour mix that is excellent for baking, cookies at least.
Found here, but for your convenience I will include it here as well.
Gluten Free Flour Mix
Ingredients
  • 1 C white rice flour

  • 1 C oat flour

  • 1 C coconut flour

  • 1 C tapioca flour/starch

  • 1/4 C cornstarch

  • 3 1/2 tsp. xantham gum
Instructions
  • Combine all ingredients together and make sure they are mixed well. 

  • Store in an airtight container and use as flour in any baking recipe.
**my suggestions:  the 3 1/2 tsp of xantham gum is almost exactly what comes in the small packets you can buy @ Walmart, so its no use buying a larger amount. I sifted the flours together twice before I used it to bake.**

I recently made sugar cookies using this flour, they were great. You use this flour exactly as you would normal flour, but gluten free flour acts differently and bakes differently. So I let the dough "rest" in the freezer for 30 minutes before rolling it out, and I reduced the oven temperature and increased the baking time.


This is the best cake mix that I have used thus far, it wasn't dry or gritty like others I've sampled. The cupcakes that I made were  moist, and the texture was spongy and just a little more dense than "normal" cupcakes. Overall, deliciousness so I made cupcakes, decorated them and froze them to eat later.

And these are the cupcakes I made. 
We decorated them for a contest that Grandma Wiberg hosted. 
Shaylee's Rose cupcake- GF, also my first roses.

Joseph's John Deere cupcake- not GF, very original.

**Note: we don't have sweets often, most of my baking is holiday related or to give away**
Up next: Yummy gluten free foods we've had, with recipes!

No comments: