Friday, November 20, 2009

National Adoption Month/ Day

This is the actress from my Big Fat Greek Wedding (LOVE that movie) love her, she is speaking about adoption. Amazing. YOU need to watch this!



There is another article about her HERE love it!

Here's a snippet:
" ...my husband Ian Gomez and I adopted a little girl.

...not because an adopted child seems to be the latest Hollywood must-have accessory. But because, after ten years of banging my head against the brick wall of infertility, I accepted there was another plan for me. And (cue music swell) motherhood turned out to be the most meaningful thing I've ever done with my life. Really.

It wasn't easy to adopt an American child. Actually it's quite simple, but finding out how to do it was the hard part.

I tried many routes that fell through or didn't work out. Then I waited on many lists. The phone didn't ring.

Later, I was put in touch with a lawyer who works with, how shall I put this daintily... known people in my industry, and was informed I could be put at the top of The List and "have an infant within three days." But didn't that mean I would be moving someone down the list? Someone who had waited? Yeah, wrong.

I didn't know what to do. So, I kept asking questions.

A common misconception is that to get a kid you just have to go to another country and be as pretty as Angelina Jolie. As studio executives and movie reviewers have informed me again and again -- I'm not.

So I asked -- don't we have orphanages in the States? I found out no, we don't. But we do have 500,000 kids in foster care. 129,000 are legally free for adoption and waiting for a family. I was stunned.

I realized there was simply no reason to not adopt an "older child." Why not? 129,000 legally free children with no home? In a white hot moment, I knew this was what I had been waiting for.

And now I want to write that it was really easy. But, no. No, it wasn't."


I am loving Adoption month and hoping to be a better advocate for Adoption

-S

No comments: