Sunday, February 5, 2012

News

First off, I am sorry for the lack of posts...it's not because of lack of interesting blogging material but rather a lack of interest in blogging. Don't worry I am over it, now some news. 

 Around Christmas time we "fired" Joseph's employment agency. He had just gone through so many different agents, we were done. Then a few days later we got an email from Joseph's vocational counselor, Daphne telling us that  EnTrust Services (his ex-agency) called and wanted to interview Joseph to work for them! Long story short, he got the job, it will start initially as a 3 month internship through DSB, but they are already talking about keeping him on after that. Tuesday his computer and CCTV move to EnTrust, and Thursday he starts work! We are absolutely elated! We kept it quiet until we knew more, the details were hashed out Friday.

 Insurance: starting in June Joseph will be enrolled in Medicare. We've been fighting for 2 years to get Joseph on Medicaid, unsuccessfully. So how does medicare fit in? Good question, after being on social security for 2 years he is becomes eligible for benefits. Soon we will know what to expect for dues or co-pays etc.  We are still very angry and disappointed that we didn't succeed in getting Joseph on Medicaid, it is still our plan to write an article to the paper about our struggle against our state programs that failed to help him. Hopefully it will cause quite a stir, that's what we're going for. We want to help create change and improvement so others won't have to go through what we have, and get the help they need.

And the good news continues... I am beginning to work on my certification to become a member of the Music Teachers National Association (MTNA). My boss has agreed to pay for my certification and I purchased my books (set to arrive on Monday). I agreed to stay with TCAB for 2 years as the deal for helping me get certified. I have no intention of leaving so its a win-win situation.  More about what I have to do to become a certified teacher later, it merits a post all on its own.  And lastly, Joseph's student loans have been "forgiven", he doesn't have to pay them back as long as his income stays below a certain level (same limits as his social security) for 3 years then it's forgiven forever. We'll also have to file taxes separately for the period of time.  That's all the news for now.  Huge blessings!

3 comments:

The Ottley's said...

I've been thinking about you two! Glad to read things are finally starting to go your way! And as a teacher I look forward to hearing about the certification process you get to go through!

Briana said...

wow, so much happy news! you guys sure deserve some breaks -- finally!! keep us posted. it's good to hear what you're up to!

lm said...

Wow! Thanks for the catch up. I knew some but not all. Love you so!