Saturday, February 25, 2012

I got behind on my blogging, again


This is why...




What is that you ask, a massive, intensively itchy allergic reaction. It covered my entire body. These are pictures of days 1 & 2 of my arm and back, Mom wouldn't take day 3 pictures, which were worse than these, she said we were already scaring people (she posted this on Facebook).  This rash came from a serious allergic reaction to anti-biotics that I was prescribed for a sinus infection. We first thought that I had chicken pox, for the 3rd time. Luckily we were wrong.

I am allergic to Sulfas,  which is a class of drugs derived from sulfonamides. These drugs are used in the treatment of both bacterial and non-bacterial infections. The most common sulfa allergic reaction is the appearance of rashes on the skin. These itchy rashes can appear all over the body and can cause irritation and discomfort. Another allergic reaction is Anaphylaxis, which is quite a serious condition where the affected person experiences difficulty in breathing, increase in heart beat, vomiting, nausea, dizziness and sometimes fainting.


This was just my first exposure, I now have to wear a medical ID bracelet stating this allergy, because next time could be much much worse. Lets just say I love oatmeal baths, and Melaleuca Renew lotion, they are life savers. I am doing much better, my "spots"  or "dots" are now light pink and not welt-like. It's been a crazy couple of weeks, sinus infection to allergic reaction. 

1 comment:

Briana said...

CRAZY! that looks like a whole bunch of not fun. I'm glad you're doing better. One of Elena's weekly meds is a Sulfa (Septra). It's a prophylactic. They ask us every so often if she has any allergies to sulfas. And now I see what that would look like. :)