Monday, January 11, 2010

on the run update...

I just sent Joe off to his first day of subbing for seminary (Joe will be set apart as a substitute for seminary in our stake, he has been hired as an on-call substitute. He is @southridge, Bro. Black's wife just had a baby boy, he'll be gone all week.)

We are in the midst of all kinds of paperwork:
*Monday we recieved a letter from Dr Deitz (ophthalmologist) stating the Joseph is legally blind. We have since been able to use that letter in most of his paperwork. (we didn't know we would need this and it just showed up, love that Dr!)

*We had a disability interview on Tuesday last week.

*We interviewed with Daphne (vocational and rehabilitiation counselor from the Department of Services for the Blind) on Wednesday.

*On Friday, Joe received a letter of eligibility from the Washington State department of services for the blind.

*He will be meeting a counselor at the Edith Bishel Center for the Blind this afternoon. She will be able to let us know what types of Assistive technology will be useful for Joe and all kinds of other stuff I have yet to learn,( I will be there pen in hand to get good notes and fill everyone in).

*working on Medicaid paperwork, going call and get an appointment (trying to do that ASAP, with the changes coming with health care under Obama, it's got us a little worried)

*Lots of phone calls to make, probably not going to happen today

* I will be applying for a substitute paraeducator position here in the Kennewick School District.

Well I should be going got a big busy day ahead, work, then to Southridge for backup if Joe needs it (he is a little concerned being his first day) then his appointment at the Edith Bishel, then my work where he will probably be on the phone or watching/listening to a movie while I work. Then home, food and sleep.

-S

5 comments:

Briana said...

Good luck! That is quite a to-do list. I hope you get some good news.

And p.s. my water aerobics instructor told us about a new thing called "body brushing" that she said was helpful for people with MS and I thought of you guys. She swears by 5 minutes of body brushing in the morning and 5 minutes at night. You just go get a natural bristle body brush (like palm) from anywhere (like Bed, Bath and Beyond) and follow the basic techniques (which I'm sure you could google). Anyways, it might be worth a shot to provide a little relief.

Unknown said...

Wow, this must be quite a scary time for you guys. That's great though that he can be a substitute seminary teacher. I wish you guys good luck and you are in our prayers.

lm said...

great capsule info! Thanks foryour efforts. Yes, I am on now, Thank you again. Always prayin'!

miri said...

Shay, Thank you for taking care of my brother...PLEASE let me know if there is ANYTHING we (Josh and I) can do to help. Love you.

miri said...

oh ps I just found this website that is kind of nice. I don't think Joe's vision is this bad but I don't honestly know so anyway. here's the link:
http://www.squidoo.com/blind-etiquette