Thursday, June 10, 2010

Didn't your mother ever teach you?

Not to judge?
Mine did.
We are in our mid-twenties. 
We use handicap parking...legally.
Not many people can say that, not that we are proud of it.
But it's the truth.
We had an interesting experience a while back.
We are always being judged when we park. 
We know it doesn't look good for a young couple to park in the handicap spots.
We had just finished parking next to an elderly gentleman in his big red pickup,
pulled out of his parking spot and blocked us in, 
rolled down his window, 
and showed us a look that told us he was going to yell at us.
Then Joseph and his white cane exited the car,
and his face changed,
that man's face changed from anger, to shock. 
He drove away.
I thought it was funny, he judged us too quickly. 
He was wrong.
We went in the store did our shopping and came back out to our car. 
Next to our car was another man helping his mother into one of those electric shopping carts,
we were blocked in, we loaded our car.
He watched. 
He had a look of kindness towards us.
Without saying a word, he came up to me took and returned my shopping cart for me.
That man judged us too. But he was kind.

Not everyone is willing to pull us aside and tell us exactly what they think of us. (We've had a lot of those experiences too) But all of these types of experiences have made us more aware of  the fact that we are always being watched, by those that know us and love us, and by total strangers. It puts the pressure on to be good examples, not that we think of it too often, but it does cross our minds. 

All this goes back to the golden rule: 
Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.

*J&S*

7 comments:

miri said...

people are ridiculous! simple as that. I am SOOOO excited to see you guys!! YAY!!!! (ps) I LOVE your cute pic at the top of your blog!!! You are so talented!

The Graham Family! said...

Your picture at the top is really cute! I like it!! You two are such an amazing couple and an example to all of us. You have endured so many trials and have clung to each other thru it all. People can be such jerks and there are also those that can be so sweet. Your blog post really made me step back and think about why it is so important not to judge. You never know the underlying circumstances for why people do things they do or why they are the way they are. I love you guys and hope that you are doing well!!

Jessica said...

I love you with all my heart!! Hope that all goes well. Can't wait to see you soon! LOVE YA AND PRAYING!

Wendy said...

You know, I guess that I am one of those that judges quickly too. But I can't imagine blocking somebody in a parking spot and yelling at them. :) It kinda' makes me want to giggle. I would be more the one who shakes my head and just goes on with what I was doing. Thank you for the reminder not to judge others harshly.

I like your picture too. :)

Breanna said...

I am loving the picture! This post makes me happy and sad at the same time. I am sure that people are kind...most of the time.

Briana said...

A good reminder for us all! You just never know what people are dealing with.

Abe n Linz said...

I love the way you wrote this. Thanks for sharing.